Friday, 16 January 2015

DIY: Upcycled Shibori Dress


I bought this cream dress from H&M years ago, but can only remember wearing it once because it turned out to be totally see through. It has been sat in my wardrobe ever since; I love the fit so I didn't want to get rid of it, but it's only now having had a new year clear out that I decided it was time to do something about it.

I've been wanting to try Shibori dyeing for a while now so this seemed like a good project to test it on. I didn't buy the proper dye, instead opting for a Dylon hand dye in black as I had some jeans to freshen up too - forever thinking thrifty! This worked out really well as the dye has faded in a few areas which gives a really nice effect - I think if I had gone with a blue or navy dye that it would have faded too much.

There are tons of different techniques for Shibori dyeing, but here's how I did it for this dress...


I laid out the dress flat, and then began concertina folding it lengthways. I folded the sleeves in first to make this easier.


Then I concertina folded it the other way, leaving me with a square of fabric. You will need two small pieces of wood to sandwich the fabric in - these blocks were left over shelves from an Ikea DVD shelf!


With the fabric sandwiched in between the wood blocks, I then used tons of elastic bands to secure it all.
After that it's just a case of following the instructions on the fabric dye that you are using and hoping for the best :)

I've always loved the process of fabric dyeing, and this was a particularly fun project to see develop. Plus, the dress is now perfectly wearable and not at all indecent - hoorah! Now I'm just wondering what I can dye next...

No comments:

Post a Comment

i love reading your comments (but hate the blogger commenting system!) so if you'd like to chat you can find me on twitter @skye_pennant :)