Thursday, 31 January 2013
Tuesday, 29 January 2013
Sunday, 27 January 2013
Wednesday, 23 January 2013
Sunday, 20 January 2013
Thursday, 17 January 2013
Sunday, 13 January 2013
angela over at "paper lovestory" has started a new feature over on her blog based on her 'my filofax week' posts. every week she posts a photo of her (super colourful) week in her diary, and has asked other bloggers to join in the challenge.
as i'm trying to make as much use as possible from my filofax, i thought this was a pretty neat idea- and also a little excuse to keep my diary nice and cheerful!
i totally forgot to post last week, so here are my weeks one and two.
i bought the paperchase 2013 diary, but i think i'm gonna buy the whsmith one this week as the layout looks so much better. i use a 4 way colour pen to colour code (anyone know of a really thin one that will fit in the pen loop?!) and then just a ton of sticky notes dotted around the place! i made my first washi tapes purchase last week, so maybe i'll try to use those in there too.
i'm gonna try to keep this up for the whole year, and hopefully it'll be a little push to keep me on top of things. if you're taking part in this challenge then let me know- i love seeing how other people use their diaries :)
Wednesday, 9 January 2013
over the last few days i've felt a little blue. i have no definable reason for this, so am passing the blame onto those cliched "january blues", but it's been a bit rubbish none the less.
after a little catch up with lauren this week, she's given me some advice and a little push, so i've decided to have a bit of a ramble- please bear with me!
i am a crafter. fact. i keep miscellaneous items that others would discard in favour of a diy, i spent four years studying design and now work for a craft company, and so much of my everyday life revolves around crafting, making, creating, diy-ing, all of it.
however, creative blocks happen. everyone has them, i know that. they used to drive me up the wall at uni, and still drive me mad now. they can be the most frustrating things to deal with; especially when this blog mainly revolves around my creativity.
as my blog has developed it has definitely found its way into the "diy/craft" category, and this is something i'm so proud of. i love being able to share my diy's and makes with you all, and the fact that so many of you read and comment and take an interest in them is awesome- it's the best feeling!
but right now, and occasionally, i don't want to create. everything i draw, or make, goes wrong and i feel frustrated and pretty darn crap!
so, i've spent some time trying to figuring out what helps me out of these blocks, and thought i'd share what i've learnt with you all.
1. turn off your computer/laptop/phone etc.- i know this might seem obvious, but there is nothing more refreshing than isolating yourself from the internet for a while.
2. watch your favourite film- whether it's an arty film, a film that makes you feel good, or just a classic (harry potter for me obvs.) get lost in the story for a few hours!
3. look back through your favourite photos/diy's/letters -last year i made this memory book which is a collection of cards, postcards, gig tickets and other memorabilia that i've put together as a book. it never fails to make me feel better reading lovely things from lovely people.
4. challenge yourself- learn a new skill that you've always wanted to, or push yourself outside of your comfort zone- one of my little goals for myself is to start running properly once a week and i'm hoping this will give me some head space as well as being good for my health.
5. organise- i spent a few hours re-organising my filofax last weekend and my head definitely felt clearer. i know not everyone works in the same way, so find a method that you can make the most of, whether it's a pen and paper diary, your phone calendar or just post-it notes. i also de-cluttered my work space which is always refreshing and can also remind you of all the materials you have!
6. have a big old chin wag- there is nothing like a good catch up and chatting away about anything and everything, and it's especially good to have a fellow blogger to talk to- thank you lauren :)
do you ever feel like this? and how do you get yourself out of these little blocks? i'd love to hear how you all rejuvenate yourselves at times like these; i might have to put together a nice big mood board of helpful tips and tricks!
image via pinterest
Sunday, 6 January 2013
i've had a hectic week since seeing in the new year, but have been thriving on having a huge clear out, re-organising the flat (& my filofax -again- whoops!) and making lots of plans for the year.
one of the things i'm excited about for this year is to really get back into reading. last year i signed up to goodreads (find me here) and have recently been trying to get into the habit of using it more often. i only set myself a challenge of 15 books to read in 2012 and only managed 11, so this year i've decided to up my game a little.
20 books might not seem like a lot to read in a year, but i thought i'd keep it realistic to start with (i hate new years resolutions that put pressure on you!). i was lucky enough to receive all of these books for christmas so i have no excuses not to get into this challenge. i've started off with the secret life of bees and so far am loving it.
i'd love to know who else uses goodreads and whether you've set yourself a challenge; also, if you have any book recommendations for me then i'd love to hear them :)